With over 4.5 million downloads to date, FontCreator portable is the world’s most popular font editor. An advanced feature set makes it the tool of choice for professionals, and its intuitive interface is straightforward enough for users at any expertise level. Create your own fonts, redesign existing characters, edit the spacing in font sets, and much more.
When you create or open a font, FontCreator displays an overview of all available characters. You can simply add missing characters, or select an existing character, and modify its appearance. You can import (scanned) images of your signature or company logo, or make a font from your own handwriting. With FontCreator you can also fix character codepoints, font names, kerning pairs, and at all times you can preview your typefaces before installing.
Font Overview with Categories
The glyph and character category panel gives you quick and easy access to the glyphs, character subsets and Unicode ranges.
Work with OpenType, TrueType and Web fonts
FontCreator supports Open Type, True Type and Web Open Font Format (WOFF) fonts which can be used on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and in all modern web browsers.
Design High Quality Fonts
The standard and professional edition include font validation features which enable you to improve the quality of your fonts by locating and solving common glyph problems.
Optimizing glyph outlines will reduce the number of points that make up the contour(s).
Import SVG Images
High quality vector graphics can be easily imported. You can even copy and paste between FontCreator and your favorite vector editing software.
Import Raster (bitmap) Images
Import (scanned) images and convert them into glyphs. Create your own handwriting font by scanning your handwriting and import it into FontCreator.
Scalable Color Fonts
FontCreator is the first font editor to support the new scalable color fonts extension. This new feature allows you to create multi-colored glyphs for systems that support it, while maintaining backwards compatibility for systems that do not. Watch the video above for a quick introduction on how to create color fonts with FontCreator.
Visual OpenType Designer
The intuitive OpenType Designer allows you to easily add and modify OpenType Layout Features for glyph positioning. The build-in anchor manager makes adding and editing Mark to Base and Mark to Mark positioning a breeze!
OpenType Layout Scripts Editor
The Script Editor allows you to quickly add and modify OpenType Glyph Substitutions through an easy to learn scripting language.
OpenType Layout Features Made Easy
Common OpenType layout features are automatically added to your fonts and with the standard and professional editions you can take full control over these features through custom scripts.
Easy Access to Common Glyph Properties
The glyph properties toolwindow gives you easy access to the glyph’s name, codepoints and bearings.
Manually add kerning to your font or let the Autokerning take care of kerning for you in the standard and professional edition.
The Optical metrics feature in the professional edition simplifies one of the most complex and time consuming tasks in font design. It analyzes a set of most common characters to find the best left and right side bearings of each of these glyphs.
Test Your Fonts
At any time during your font development, you can test it in other applications. You can even generate a local webpage to test it as a Web font.
Powerful Transform Wizard
The standard and professional edition come with a powerful transform wizard that allows you to easily transform glyphs with just a few clicks. Transform your font to Italic, Bold, automatically add characters for other languages, small capitals and more.
Easily Rename Fonts
On the font properties dialog you can view and edit the font name, legal and copyright information, embedding rights and more.
The standard and professional edition allow intelligent generation of outlines for more than 2,200 (mostly accented) composite characters.
• Support for cubic bezier curves (CFF/ PostScript based outlines)
• High DPI (Large Fonts) support
• New icon set
• Font validation improvements (and new Suspicious points)
• Improved Complete Composites
• Enhancements to Transform scripts
• Auto kern now allows composite glyphs to follow base glyph. Also added option to exclude lowercase-lowercase pairs.
• Vertical metrics support as requested here. Vertical metrics are only useful with fonts that are used for vertical writing, so in general you’ll only need to add it in CJK (Chinese, Japanese, and Korean) fonts.
• Support for launch custom externals
• Improved the installed fonts dialog
• Show angle (with a single point) or distance (between two selected points) in status bar
• Move cubic control points while forcing “C1 continuity” by holding down the “ALT” key while moving the points.
• Updated OpenType features and languages lists
• Class Manager -> added option in Select Class Members dialog to filter by AnchorClass
• Option for Glyph Fill Opacity in Glyph Edit window
• Improved extreme control point detection
• Improved moving cubic points
• Select Multiple Glyphs in Insert Glyph Member to Composite Glyphs
• Convert all outlines to either quadratic or cubic
• New Project dialog to support predefined outlines as either cubic or quadratic
• Cubic outlines, select on curve point and press ‘S’ to force C1
• Cubic outlines, select on curve point and press ‘D’ to force vertical or horizontal alignment
• Improvements to Add Script, Language, Feature, Lookup dialog
• Added a round coordinates button ®
• Fixed AutoKern (and Optical Metrics) bug
• Added a smooth, smooth and align, and round coordinates in context menu (point mode only)
• Glyph names -> search and replace as well as bulk replace
• New “smart delete points” (backspace)
• Copy and paste path from Photoshop
• Show codepoint of selected glyph in composite glyph member dialog
• Optical Metrics no longer wipes the ‘use this glyphs metrics’ flag
• Insert Contour feature will now allow you to define quadratic and cubic curves; based on TrueType outline format in Export settings.
• Insert Contour feature will now use click and drag to make curves; right-click no longer adds off curve points (would otherwise be a challenge with cubic curves).
• Allow FontCreator to use more memory, which is needed to open/save large font projects. FontCreator can still run out of memory if it requires a large black of memory but can’t find any due to memory fragmentation. A 64 bit version has access to more memory, so that is the future.
• Replace glyph member within Glyph Edit window. Select one, and right-click, then click replace…
• Show Transform toolwindow when editing composites
• Minor improvements related to the Background toolwindow
• Provide correct contour direction when inserting rectangle and ellipse contours