Tails is a live system that aims to preserve your privacy and anonymity. It helps you to use the Internet anonymously and circumvent censorship almost anywhere you go and on any computer but leaving no trace unless you ask it to explicitly. It is a complete operating system designed to be used from a DVD, USB stick, or SD card independently of the computer’s original operating system.
Tails comes with several built-in applications pre-configured with security in mind: web browser, instant messaging client, email client, office suite, image and sound editor, etc.
Tails is a live operating system, that you can start on almost any computer from a DVD, USB stick, or SD card. It aims at preserving your privacy and anonymity, and helps you to:
• use the Internet anonymously and circumvent censorship;
• all connections to the Internet are forced to go through the Tor network;
• leave no trace on the computer you are using unless you ask it explicitly;
• use state-of-the-art cryptographic tools to encrypt your files, emails and instant messaging.
New in version 2.9.1
- Upgrade Tor to 0.2.8.10.
- Upgrade Tor Browser to 6.0.8.
- Upgrade Icedove to 45.5.1.
- Upgrade obfs4proxy to 0.0.7.
- Switch to DuckDuckGo as the default search engine in Tor Browser. The previous default search engine, Disconnect.me, has already been redirecting to Duck Duck Go for some time.
- Fix Tails not starting in VirtualBox by upgrading the Guest Additions to version 5.1.8. (#11965)
- Document that I/O APIC is required to start Tails in VirtualBox.
- Remove the error when starting Videos that appeared in Tails 2.7 by fixing the AppArmor profile of Totem. (#11984)