WinRAR Portable is a powerful archive manager (Windows, Linux, Mac). This is a powerful compression tool with many integrated additional functions to help you organize your compressed archives. It can backup your data and reduce size of email attachments, decompress RAR, ZIP and other files downloaded from Internet and create new archives in RAR and ZIP file format. The archiver puts you ahead of the crowd when it comes to compression. By consistently creating smaller archives, WinRAR is often faster than the competition. This will save you disc space, transmission costs AND valuable working time as well. WinRAR is ideal for multimedia files. It automatically recognizes and selects the best compression method.
The special compression algorithm compresses multimedia files, executables and object libraries particularly well. RAR files can usually compress content by 8 percent to 15 percent more than ZIP files can.
• Using WinRAR Portable puts you ahead of the crowd when it comes to compression by consistently making smaller archives than the competition, saving disk space and transmission costs.
• The program provides complete support for RAR and ZIP archives and is able to unpack CAB, ARJ, LZH, TAR, GZ, ACE, UUE, BZ2, JAR, ISO, 7Z, Z archives.
• WinRAR offers a graphic interactive interface utilizing mouse and menus as well as the command line interface.
• WinRAR is easier to use than many other archivers with the inclusion of a special “Wizard” mode which allows instant access to the basic archiving functions through a simple question and answer procedure. This avoids confusion in the early stages of use.
• WinRAR offers you the benefit of industry strength archive encryption using AES (Advanced Encryption Standard) with a key of 128 bits.
• WinRAR supports files and archives up to 8,589 billion gigabytes in size. The number of archived files is, for all practical purposes, unlimited.
• WinRAR offers the ability to create selfextracting and multivolume archives.
• Recovery record and recovery volumes allow to reconstruct even physically damaged archives.
• WinRAR features are constantly being developed to keep WinRAR ahead of the pack.
- ZIP SFX module refuses to process SFX commands stored in archive comment if such comment is resided after beginning of Authenticode digital signature. It is done to prevent possible attacks with inclusion of ZIP archive into the signature body.
- We already prohibited extracting contents of such malformed archives in WinRAR 6.01.We are thankful to Jacob Thompson – Mandiant Advantage Labs for reporting this issue.
- WinRAR uses https instead of http in the web notifier window, home page and themes links. It also implements additional checks within the web notifier. This is done to prevent a malicious web page from executing existing files on a user’s computer. Such attack is only possible if the intruder has managed to spoof or otherwise control user’s DNS records. Some other factors are also involved in limiting the practical application of this attack. We would like to express our gratitude to Igor Sak-Sakovskiyfor bringing this issue to our attention.
- Where appropriate, SFX archive displays the additional line with detailed error information provided by operating system.
- For example, previously such archive would display “Cannot create file” message alone. Now this message is followed by a detailed reason like access denied or file being used by another process. In the past this extended error information was available in but not in SFX archives.
- Switch -idn hides archived names also in ‘v’ and ‘l’ commands. It can be useful if only the archive type or total information is needed.
- If -ibck -ri<priority> switches are used together, WinRAR process sets the priority specified in -ri switch. Previous versions ignored -ri and set the priority to low in the presence of -ibck switch.
- When using “File/Change drive” command, WinRAR saves the last folder of previous drive and restores it if that drive is selected again later.
- Name of unpacking file is now included into WinRAR incorrect password warning for RAR5 archives. It can be helpful when unpacking a non-solid archive containing files encrypted with different passwords.
- Bugs fixed:
- “Convert archives” command issued erroneous “The specified password is incorrect” message after succesfully converting RAR archive with encrypted file names if new password was set and archive was opened in WinRAR shell;
- if command progress window was resized up and then quickly resized down to original dimensions, window contents could be positioned incorrectly.