The StorageCraft® Recovery Environment is a critical component of StorageCraft ShadowProtect® disaster recovery software. IT administrators and other ShadowProtect users can boot this environment from a CD and then back up, recover, or migrate systems, applications, services, and data.
The StorageCraft Recovery Environment Download and ShadowProtect are both part of the StorageCraft Recover-Ability™ solution. This solution provides you with all the products and services you need to protect and recover data, applications, and systems anytime, anywhere, and from any disaster.
As any seasoned IT professional knows, disasters happen and business needs change. The StorageCraft Recovery Environment gives you the ability to back up systems, restore to different hardware or to virtual machines, and migrate to a new physical or virtual environment. Additionally, the StorageCraft Recovery Environment includes utilities to aid swift recovery such as auto-repair and diagnostics.
StorageCraft offers two recovery environment options:
– This environment comes ready to go. If you prefer using a pre-built recovery environment, then you can use the StorageCraft Recovery Environment CrossPlatform.
– If you are familiar with the previous StorageCraft Recovery Environment Download, or if you prefer using a Windows-based user interface, you may prefer this environment. However, this environment requires you to build it.
A necessary component of stress-free IT recovery
Scenarios for which administrators, technicians, and other IT pros use StorageCraft Recovery Environment:
– Restoring a Windows system volume that cannot boot on its own
– Backing up a non-bootable system before attempting a restore operation
– Performing bare metal recovery when old hardware is damaged beyond repair
– Recovering an accidentally deleted file or folder
– Migrating to new hardware or a virtual environment
What’s involved in building the Windows-based recovery environment?
You’ll download the StorageCraft Recovery Environment Builder to create your recovery environment with Microsoft Windows PE (WinPE). StorageCraft Recovery Environment Builder walks you through the necessary steps.
These steps are simple and include downloading the free Microsoft Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit (ADK), which contains WinPE. You only have to build your recovery environment once and, except for the 2GB ADK download, the process takes only a few minutes.
Choice of recovery environment
– Build your own custom Windows recovery environment with a familiar user interface and extensive driver support
– Easily load additional drivers needed to access existing storage within the Recovery Environment for Windows
– Have the convenience of a pre-built tool with Recovery Environment CrossPlatform so you don’t have to create one
– Capture everything—systems, applications, configuration settings, services, data—on servers, desktops, and laptops
– Back up Microsoft SQL, Exchange, and SharePoint servers and other critical application servers, including updates in memory
– Encrypt backup image jobs to securely protect data
– Save backups to any disk device (such as removable, local, and network drives) or any optical media (CDs, DVDs, and Blu-Ray discs)
– Back up a non-bootable system before attempting a restore operation
– Verify backup images to ensure they’re in a known good state for fast and reliable recovery
– Perform a bare metal restore in minutes
– Restore a system to the same or different hardware or to virtual environments
– Mount a backup image and quickly browse it in order to recover a file or folder
– Restore an entire data volume from a backup image file
– Migrate a backup image from one physical machine to another
– Migrate a backup image of a physical machine to a virtual environment
– Migrate a backup image of a virtual environment to a physical machine
– Migrate a backup image from one virtual environment to another
Diagnostics and Troubleshooting
– Detect and repair a boot configuration error or corrupt hard drive when the automated repair process fails
– Repair or replace the information required for startup that may get lost during migration from one drive to another
– Update the boot configuration when the old drive configuration doesn’t include what’s needed in order to boot on a newer drive
StorageCraft Recovery Environment CrossPlatform
– Protect both Windows and Linux systems with this pre-built recovery environment.
– Improved Localization Strings
– All BMR drives can be restored from a network location
– Improved Functionality for HIR’s (HIR decode will now appear if SP/SPX not installed)
– Added ability to print root password “shadowprotect” with command /etc/motd
– Added support for Ubuntu 16 restores
– Added confirm button for “Initialize MBR Disk”
– Added “Cancel” option to “Format” popup
– Added LVM Labels for LVM restores
– Added “Cancel” option for HSR override
– Added additional Boot repair functionality for Linux restores
– Corrected issue with “Restore Disk Layout” not handling extended partition correctly
– Corrected crash if user does not select any “Advanced Recovery Options”
– Corrected repeatable crash after partitioning during restore
– Corrected issue with not being able to unmount Images
– Corrected grub install failure when /etc/mtab is a link to /proc/self/mounts
– Corrected issue with recovery environment not shrinking image files
– Corrected an error with not being able to explore .spi files
– Corrected issue where Image Header Information was blank
– Corrected an issue that caused a crash if additional files were added to a folder while exploring
– Corrected an issue with LVM where a partition needed to be created before restoring
– Corrected an issue where the recovery environment was not booting on EFI enabled machines
– Corrected issue with partition sizes being incorrect from Image File Header and creating in OS
– Corrected issue with a crash occurring after wiping disk partitions
– Clicking “Unmount” in the restore wizard crashes the recovery environment
– Restoring an image with a long MountPoints entry in the header crashes the recovery environment