WinToUSB Portable is the best Windows To Go Creator that allows you to install and run Windows operating system on a USB hard drive or USB flash drive, using an ISO image or CD/DVD drive as the source of installation. Starting from version 2.0, you can clone current Windows OS installation (Windows 7 or later) to a USB drive as a Windows To Go Workspace. WinToUSB also supports creating a bootable WinPE USB drive, it can help you transfer the contents of WinPE to a USB drive and make the drive bootable.
WinToUSB is a reliable and user-friendly software solution whose main function is to assist you in installing then running a Windows OS from a USB stick.
Thanks to the wizard-style interface, you can easily perform this operation, even if you have little or even no experience in the area, thanks to the provided instructions. In order to install Windows on your USB flash or hard drive, you can use an ISO image, or a CD / DVD containing the required data.
This application enables you to use any edition of Windows 7 to 10 to create a Windows To Go drive, meaning you can connect it to any PC and run it, regardless of the operating system of the host computer.
Additionally, it can be booted on multiple computers; on the first connection, it automatically detects the system hardware, then downloads and installs the required drivers, so the next time it is connected to the same PC, it will instantly identify the proper tools. Because not all software supports running on such an operating system, it is advisable that they be tested initially, preventing you from encountering difficulties later on, when you might depend on that certain utility.
After opting for a certain ISO image or CD / DVD from which to extract the information, WinToUSB lets you choose the flash or hard drive you want to install Windows on. Subsequently, you can select the preferred system partition and the boot partition, then press the ‘Next’ button and allow the application to do its part.
WinToUSB’s key features include:
- Easy-to-use wizard interface that provides step-by-step instructions for creating a Windows To Go USB drive.
- Creation of Windows To Go from an ISO image file or CD/DVD drive.
- Clone an existing Windows OS (Windows 7 or later) to a USB Drive as a Windows To Go Workspace.
- Use of a Non-Enterprise Edition of Windows 10/8.1/8/7 to create Windows To Go Workspace.
- Creation of Windows To Go on Non-Certified Windows To Go USB Drive.
- Support for creating VHD-based/VHDX-based Windows To Go Workspace.
- Windows 7 is not completely portable. You may have driver problems when booting on different computers, so highly recommend using Windows 10/8.1/8 to create portable Windows.
- Windows 7 does not have built-in USB 3.0 support, so Windows 7 will have to be booted from a USB 2.0 port.
- The common USB flash drives are very slow. It takes a long time to install and run Windows from a common USB flash drive, highly recommend using a USB hard disk, a Windows To Go Certified Drives or a SanDisk Extreme CZ80 USB 3.0 Flash Drive to create portable Windows.
- Windows To Go drives can be booted on different computers, so you can carry it to anywhere and use it on any computer.
- You need to be an administrator on the computer you are installing the WinToUSB on.
Enterprise Edition Features:
- Clone current Windows OS (Enterprise edition of Windows 10/8.1/8/7) to a USB drive as a Windows To Go Workspace
- Clone current Windows OS which on a dynamic disk to a USB drive as a Windows To Go Workspace
- Clone current Windows OS which on a USB disk (Windows To Go USB drive) to other USB drives as a Windows To Go Workspace
- Faster Clone Speed
- No upgrade prompts
- Business usage
- Support for injecting hardware drivers into Windows when creating Windows To Go
- Fixed bug: Failed to clone Boot Camp Windows in some cases
- Fixed bug: Some Windows 7 ISOs cannot be recognized
- Fix other minor bugs